Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Bookshelves

   A couple of weeks ago I read this article about bookshelves organization, and I got to thinking about my shelves. The system I currently use, that I came up with a few years ago, organizes my books by favorites. For example, my Harry Potter books get their own shelf on my main bookcase with all my other top favorites, my second favorites on the other bookcase, and so on.
 
 Fast forward a couple of years and a couple of moves (don't really like to talk about that nightmare but at one point we did live above a stripper who had the squeakiest bed ever) and I put my books in the same order just so I could remember where they were.  (And yes I mean exactly the same order. I don't have a photographic memory but I tend to remember stuff that I see repeatedly. I am the type of person who could have a messy room and still know where everything is.) But of course now I have completely different favorites and many more new books. So the question is should I reorganize, and if so how should I do it?

 If I do, I would probably stick with the favorites system since I like it and it's different than other peoples. Alphabetical is just boring and no fun and genre sorting wouldn't help since I own tons of fantasy and books that I consider multiple genres. I guess the question then becomes which books do I feel are my favorites now and do I still love the others on the main bookcase. And if I pick my favorites, won't I just have to do this again in a year or two?  I guess I just slightly obsess over it considering I love my books and I would hate to have to re-do it all if I mess up. I'm off all weekend so if I ever get around to it I'll update on what I do.

No comments: